Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Garlic Potatoes

This recipe comes from the May issue of Country Living Magazine. It is quite similar to two I've posted before, Garlic Roasted New Potatoes and Oven Fries a la Nicole. The main difference is that it uses butter instead of olive oil. I know, I know olive oil is a healthier choice, but once in a while it's okay to use butter instead.


Garlic Potatoes

8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons (I used my mandoline)
4 tablespoons unsalted (I used salted) butter, melted; plus 1 tablespoon
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 ounce pecorino cheese, grated - about 1/4 cup (I didn't use any cheese)

Preheat oven to 400º F.
In a large baking pan, toss potatoes and 4 tablespoons melted butter together.
Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (didn't use pepper - let people pepper their own serving)
Spread potatoes in a single layer and roast until golden, about 35 minutes. (I used a 9x13 pan, greased with cooking spray)

Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Add garlic and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. (I cooked for longer over a lower heat)
Stir in parsley. Remove pan from heat and set aside.

Transfer potatoes to a serving dish, Pour garlic-butter mixture over potatoes and gently toss to mix.
Sprinkle with cheese and serve hot.

The amounts of all ingredients are really up to the cook, depending on how many you are serving. This is a fantastic dish.

12 comments:

  1. Delicious! Thanks for your comment re Otto, the wonderdog. Yes, he is very handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, it is delicious! And Otto is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nan -
    Sounds delicious - and I love that misty banner picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KSV, it's a great dish! Today was the first fallish morning mist. I so love it. Now it has burnt off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they taste better roasted in butter. Maybe they get crispier?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like 'em both ways, Les. I think the crispness is more about oven temp. I cover for first part of baking and take off foil for last bit. Sometimes I'll even use the broiler to get that crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful. I like sour cream on mine too.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! Garlic and potatoes are two of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Nan, you are becoming my go-to person for the best potato recipes. I can't wait to try these. The other two were so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Margot, my fellow potato fan! Wouldn't we have fun suppers together!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.