Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cranberry Cake

Please go visit Beth Fish Reads for more great weekend cooking!

Doesn't this look delicious?! I read the recipe on an email cooking list nine years ago, and this is the first time I've made it. I wish I hadn't waited so long. It is divine. It is perfect.



Cranberry Cake with Orange Whipped Cream Icing

1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped cranberries

Preheat oven to 375º F.

Beat butter and 1 cup sugar in mixer.
Add eggs and beat well.
Add orange peel and juice.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt and add to butter mixture alternately with milk.
Chop the cranberries and stir 1/2 cup into batter.

Pour batter into greased bundt pan.
Mix other 1/2 cup cranberries with the 2 tablespoons sugar, and sprinkle on top of batter.

Note: the recipe called for a 9-inch springform pan which I didn't have, so I used a bundt pan. It worked great. When I turned it out after cooling, I flipped it back over so the top with the cranberries showed.

Bake 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan. When cool, top with orange whipped cream.

Orange Whipped Cream.

1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice

Beat together and frost the cake.

Note: the original recipe called for orange flavored liqueur in the whipped cream, but I don't like an alcohol taste in anything but a cocktail :<) so I used orange juice instead.

21 comments:

  1. What a perfect treat for this blustery afternoon... maybe with a cup of tea on the side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Looks and sounds delicious. I LOVE anything with cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks absolute divine. Wow. I love orange and cranberry together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. You had me at Orange Whipped Cream Icing xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds awesome, and simple enough for me to make :) thanks Nan

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh, that sounds pretty darn easy, easy enough that I might not screw it up.
    I LOVE orange and cranberry together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JoAnn, or with milk or alone! Oh, boy is it ever good.

    Aisling, this has you written all over it.

    Beth, it is!

    Chinoiseries, yeah that frosting is out of this world. I also love chocolate whipped cream frosting - not on this cake but on others. :<)

    "1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 cups whipping cream

    Combine sugar, cocoa, and cream. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Remove and whip until stiff."

    Diane, it is very simple and so rewarding!

    Caite, it is pretty foolproof, and so, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delish! I wonder if I could use dried cranberries in it instead of fresh. Have to google if you can substitute dried for same use as fresh.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this sounds delicious. Can you hear the tummy growls from there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely -- and not too difficult. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heidi, I so love hearing from you more often! Let me know if dried cranberries work, if you have a chance. I used frozen.

    Lady Tink, it is very delicious!

    Col Reads, not difficult at all and so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cranberries are my favourite. Will definitly try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vivienne, I love them too!! If you type 'cranberries' into my search bar, you'll see a few more recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness...it's 11 p.m. at my house as I'm typing this and it's all I can do to keep from going to the refrigerator now!!! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peppermint phd, thanks so much for coming by. Hope you can bake this easy, delicious treat sometime soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhhh, you had me at "orange whipped cream".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Colleen, it really is wonderful. I think I will use it on other desserts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. last week I posted a recipe for a cranberry dessert. It's a great fruit for baking. I am looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heather, I know! I copied and pasted it into an email folder and plan to make it. I love cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes, it looks very, very delicious indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.