Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apple Brown Betty

This recipe comes from an old internet friend, Anita. She and I were in a Yahoo homemaking group together for years. I posted another of her recipes last year, Apple Muffins.


Apple Brown Betty

Sometimes called Apple Crisp, this delicious baked apple dessert has a crumbly sweet topping that sets it apart from other baked apple recipes.

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup water
4 cups of apples, peeled and sliced

1. Combine the sugar, oats, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and stir in butter with a fork until well-mixed and crumbly.

2. Add one-third of the apples, then one-third of the crumb mixture to a greased, 1 1/2 quart baking dish (I used a 2 quart).
Repeat until all apples and crumb mixture are added.

3. Pour the 1/4 cup of water over the mixture.

4. Bake for 30 minutes in preheated 375º F. oven.



Delicious, and believe it or not, this was our supper tonight! I will certainly make the recipe again.

17 comments:

  1. We had company Thursday evening so Wed night a made an apple/cranberry cobbler. Recipe is almost the same except I add a 1/2 can of whole berry canberry sauce. Very yummy.

    Hope you are doing well Nan. Love the photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmmm. Apple Brown Betty is the perfect treat for a cool Autumn evening. Or breakfast, Or lunch, even. I must put spples on the grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy and so easy! Do you need to use any certain type of apple???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so making this tonight! It looks delicious! So glad you are back to delight us with delicious recipes, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan!! I saw your comment over on my blog, and decided to come over here and make a nostalgic visit to your archives, only to discover that . . . you're BACK! I'm selfishly pleased and grateful that you've decided to keep writing your "letters." I always look forward to seeing what you're reading and cooking, and of course I want to see how that house looks when finished!
    Kind regards -
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, I love cranberries and apples together. There's a Susan Branch recipe - a crisp, I bet you'd enjoy.
    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/10/joy-of-baking-cranberry-apple-crisp.html

    Pamela, yes!

    Webster, it was great. All gone now. :<)

    Staci, I know people often recommend different varieties but I always just use what I have on hand.

    Bookssnob, thank you! hope it was good.

    Karen, thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your recipe, was reminded of the apples I had in the larder, and promptly made a batch for Sunday dessert.

    Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That completely delights me, Sprite!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your recipe inspired me to make a cobbler with some extra pears I had. It was delicious, but I still prefer apple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! Dessert for supper, second only in wonderfulness to breakfast for supper (my personal fave). This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooo! Oooooo! You're back! I am so happy. You've totally made my day and, well, thanks for keeping on' keeping on'.... Hugs, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debra, thank you for coming by to say so!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.