Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Today's cd/Me and Mr Johnson

Me and Mr Johnson
Eric Clapton
2004

"You better come on in my kitchen
'Cause, it's gon' to be rainin' outdoors."
Robert Johnson

This rainy, 45º day is just perfect for some blues, and this cd is one of my favorites. I love it when musicians pay homage to older influences and that's what Clapton does on this album. On the liner notes he says:

It is a remarkable thing to have been driven and influenced all of my life by the work of one man. ... I am talking of course, about the work of Robert Johnson. Up until I heard his music, everything I had ever heard seemed as if it was dressed up for a shop window somewhere, so that when I heard him for the first time, it was like he was singing only for himself, and now and then, maybe God. ... It is the finest music I have ever heard. I have always trusted its purity, and I always will.

There's a YouTube video of Clapton talking about Robert Johnson. He says it would take a lifetime to really copy the way Johnson played. Whew! The song he plays is not on this album, but it will give you a great idea of the sound. You can buy the cd and or go right to the source, and get some Robert Johnson at iTunes. Great, great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.