Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chocolate Cake

A young friend of ours, who goes to the same college as our son, requested that I make a chocolate cake today, and they'll both come up after classes to eat it! Since she turns 21 in a few days, how could I resist?! The candles are supposed to make a '21.' :<) I got this recipe online eleven (!) years ago, and it is one of the best. Put a little white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup. Add 1/2 cup milk, and let sit a bit.
Addendum 2/11: just regular milk works fine
Addendum 2/11: buttermilk also works fine

Melt 1/2 cup butter. Stir in 1/4 cup cocoa and 1 cup water.

Stir together in mixer:

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 t. baking soda

Pour butter mixture over this, and beat together well.
Add 1 t. vanilla, the milk, and 2 eggs, and continue beating till smooth.

Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan, and bake in preheated 325º F. oven (2/11 - 350º worked well) for about 30 minutes.
Addendum 2/11: two greased round cake pans worked great

Cool, and frost with confectioners' sugar frosting:

1/2 cup soft butter, t. vanilla, maybe two cups confectioners' sugar, and milk.
Addendum 2/11: add 1/4 cup cocoa for chocolate frosting

This is so, so delicious!

3 comments:

  1. Nan, That recipe sounds wonderful! I am more of a cook than a baker (though I love to eat baked goods!), but I really think I could make this one! I'll have to try. Unfortunately, my son loves white cake only :-(

    You know, I have been meaning to tell you that my husband's name is Tom also! Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new header, Nan. I'm off to share it with Rod (who would love a Ford Tractor!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! And if you decide to make a special request to Diane Keaton to do an album, count me in!!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.