Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fast, and slow day

I am giving myself a day of fasting. Tom and I used to do this occasionally, but once the kids came along, there just wasn't the opportunity or desire, even, to do so.

I'm not having only liquids, rather a 'slowing' down of food intake. I'm having a bit of yogurt and toast during the day, and then some brown rice and sautéed onions for supper. Other than that, I'll drink some juice, herb tea, and water. It feels like the right thing to do after the excess of food and lack of exercise over the winter; a bit like spring cleaning for me. I'm not going to do anything very vigorous. I'll probably read some blogs and read my book, and have a gentle, slow day. If it feels right, I may continue for a few days.

In the old days they would take a tonic in the spring, and I guess this is my way of doing so. It is serendipitous that this is Holy Week, and today is Maundy Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. I think I found your blog through "Soliloquy". It's beautiful.
    I'm going to be fasting tomorrow (Good Friday). Seems like it fits the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by Joyce, and for leaving a note. How will your fast go? Do you do just liquids, and do you continue till bedtime or eat at the end of the day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will drink liquids, including unsweetened fruit juice. I will fast the whole day. I have done this before, and when I feel a pang of hunger, or just a craving, I try use that as a prompt to pray. I will be leading a noontime Good Friday service, so I won't be thinking about food much at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a great idea! and smart that you are doing the diminished food intake on a day that you can slow everything else down. I think I might try this on a weekend!

    by the way, your current banner is priceless!!!! I am in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fasting is a good thing. I used to do this from time to time. I wouldn't eat anything but I would drink plenty of liquids. I haven't done this in a long time. It does make you feel rinsed clean.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.