Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lentil/Cannellini Bean Stew and Cornbread



This is a variation of the Wheat Berry Stew, using Moong Dal instead of wheat berries. This is such a great hearty dish, especially on a cold winter day. It has become one of my favorite suppers. With it, we had cornbread baked in a cast iron pan.

Cornbread

1 cup flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white)
1 cup cornmeal
1 T. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (put lemon juice in cup, fill with milk)
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup frozen whole corn kernels

Preheat oven to 400º F.
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
Spray cast iron fry pan with cooking spray.
Add batter and bake 15-20 minutes.
Top with butter.

This tastes just as good as it looks!

7 comments:

  1. Oh quit you are making me hungry. It looks like the dogs are asking politely for their share of soup and cornbread. Or do you make them hushpuppies for a treat??

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my....we shouted ( my 10 year old
    daughter and myself) "LOOK at those Dogs! They are so cute!"

    Then she said "Whose are they?"

    Wish we could visit them!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take the corn bread please... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

    Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments. The dogs especially appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to criticize, but a Southerner never puts sugar in corn bread. I suggest you try it without sometime. And have you noticed I've reactivated my food blog? Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Night Stranger, I actually have some info in my recipes folder which says:

    While all cornbreads are quick to make and bake, there are two very distinct
    types: Northern and Southern.

    Southerners generally use 100 percent white cornmeal, and they like their
    cornbread crumbly, dry and flat -- about 1-inch thick. Most Northerners, on
    the other hand, prefer sweetened, lighter, and a more golden cornbread, which
    they achieve by adding a little sugar and combining white flour and yellow
    cornmeal.

    That sounds just about right, doesn't it? Must be that we need that sugar to help us through all the cold weather!!

    I'll head over to your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.