Friday, June 1, 2007

Book report/The Private Passion of Jackie Kennedy Onassis



The Private Passion of Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Portrait Of A Rider
by Vicky Moon

I heard about this from my daily book calendar. I read the book in two sittings. It isn't a great biography, but that was not the author's intent. This is a book about Jackie's love of horses, and how they helped her through the various stages of her life. It is divided into three sections:

Companionship: 1929-1952
Sanctuary: 1953-1963
Solace: 1964-1994

These periods cover her childhood, unhappy with a womanizing, drinking father; her years as the wife of a politician and later, President; and the years afterward until her death.

It is not filled with biographical details. There are just enough facts to hold it together, so we know where we are chronologically. There is a lot of "horsey" talk, and many photos. I happen to love horses and admire Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, so it was a lot of fun for me to read. Now I am on the lookout for a good biography of her; not a gossipy, name-dropping one, but a serious book about this woman. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.