Tuesday, April 3, 2007

It's the little things/stamps



I love stamps. I don't collect them, but I do enjoy seeing what's new at the P.O. I particularly love this trio of new stamps because they represent three of my interests, jazz, food, and poetry. I'm especially pleased with the Longfellow stamps. I've been waiting for a Longfellow renaissance. He is the poet of my childhood. In elementary school, we did a musical version of Hiawatha, with those wonderful words and some of the most beautiful tunes. "By the shores of Gitchee Gumee, by the shining Big-Sea-Water, stood the wigwam of Nokomis, daughter of the moon, Nokomis." I still remember whole phrases. And of course, The Children's Hour, and Evangeline, and Paul Revere's Ride, of which there is a drawing on the stamp. This was poetry! And how I loved it. I hope the stamp, and the book, The Dante Club, will help bring him back into the consciousness of new readers.

4 comments:

  1. I love stamps, too, Nan! I did collect them when I was a young girl but now I just enjoy using them for their intended purpose. In this electronic day & age we use fewer & fewer stamps, relying less on "snail mail" but there's nothing like receiving a handwritten note in the mail; the addition of a unique stamp is an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you watch Keeping Up Appearances? I love the beginning credits when Hyacinth is addressing and stamping an envelope (probably an invitation to a candlelight supper). She measures to put the stamp in just the right place. I swear I remember a woman doing that when I was a little girl. Haven't times changed?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan, I haven't watched Keeping up Appearances but now you have me intrigued so I'll have to check it out! You inspired me to go "stamp shopping" today, came home from the PO with a page of Superheroes and one of Ella Fitzgerald. Maybe when my stack full of paid bills arrive at their destinations they'll make someone smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I know your humor, Rapunzel, and I'm quite sure you will enjoy KUA. Have fun stamp shopping. I'm positive your stamp will brighten someone's day.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.