Thursday, March 29, 2007

Scones





I got this recipe from a blog called Teatime In My Garden.

Blue Ribbon Scones

2 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup white)
1 Tablespoon baking powder (I used 2 teaspoons)
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons Butter (I used her recommendation, which follows, and used 8 Tablespoons)
1/2 cup buttermilk or regular milk (regular milk)
1 lightly beaten egg


Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until it resembles pea sized crumbs, add the milk and mix just until it sticks together. Turn the mound onto an ungreased cookie sheet, mound it up, flatten it out and cut into wedges. Brush with the egg. Bake at 425 10-20 minutes until lightly golden brown.

Personal notes (from Teatime In My Garden): I sometimes increase the flour to 2 1/3 approx and the butter to 8 T (1 stick) and add just a touch more milk. Seems to work just fine. It is also easy to add currants, citrus peel, a little spice/seasoning, etc to make the taste slightly different. I also actually knead it a few times to make sure the dry ingredients are mixed in before flattening for wedges. I have tried brushing with milk instead of egg but really prefer the egg. I also sometimes sprinkle a little sugar on the tops of the scones for a shimmer and bit of crunchy sweetness.

My notes: The batter was a touch dry so I added some water. I used my terrific mini scone pan. I did brush them with the egg and sprinkled them with sugar. I baked them at 400º F. I'm quite sure these are the best scones I've ever made! Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.