Friday, March 30, 2007

Brownies



On January 12, 2005, I wrote in my Susan Branch Autumn cookbook that these "may be the best brownies ever. Excellent!" Well, over two years has passed and I still think so. They are also really easy and quick to make. Who could ask for more?

2 oz. (squares) unsweetened (or bittersweet) chocolate
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg (slightly beaten)
1/2 cup flour (I used 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry and 1/4 cup white)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325º F.
Butter an 8 inch square pan.
Melt chocolate and butter.
Stir in rest of ingredients.
Spread in pan.
Bake 30 minutes.
Cool completely for chewiest results ("this will require will power"- S.B.)
Pour the milk.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent is the word...or perhaps it should be "delicious"
    Older d. "well Mummy I don't like nuts but these are Delicious"

    You are right you know they are even better when cool ..but somehow that didn't stop me risking burnt fingers prising a very hot gooey (just out of the oven) corner piece out...mmmmm

    They just fit the bill yesterday it was an 'I need something chocolatey' day. Made in the afternoon all gone by 9.52 this morning (except for the 2 in little girls lunch boxes which were special requests)

    Thanks Nan !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thank you, Val. This is exactly why I made a special place on the sidebar, hoping that if anyone wanted a special recipe, she could go looking over there. And you did! You just don't know how it warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.