Thursday, February 15, 2007

Books by the month

I love to read books that are divided into months. A while back, I read Richardson Wright's The Gardener's Bed-Book, published in 1929, which is not only by the month, but by the day of the month. Each night before bed, for an entire year, I read that day's entry. It was a delightful reading experience.


One of the best, and most encouraging books as a woman begins to age, is From The Orange Mailbox, Notes From a Few Country Acres by A. Carman Clark, a woman from Maine. She recently died, but was still gardening and writing up until the end. The book contains a year of wonderful monthly essays that cover gardening and life itself.



Another New England gardening writer, this one from New Hampshire, is Henry Hohmeyer. He has a book called Notes From the Garden, Reflections and Observations of an Organic Gardener. A book like this is my bread and butter, my sustenance, my text for gardening information.


Most of Gladys Taber's books are written by the month. They are filled with seasonal delights, quotes, ruminations on weather and country living.

Currently I am reading an author I first heard of in a book of gardening essays edited by Jane Garmey called The Writer in the Garden.


I was delighted by the writing and sense of humor of Henry Mitchell who wrote gardening pieces for the Washington Post. I've just begun his One Man's Garden, and will read January and February, and then each month as it comes. I love the idea of it sitting in my book basket in the kitchen right through next December.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Nan...I HAVE that book "From The Orange Mailbox"!! I found it at an Antiques Mall in Keene a couple of years ago. It's a keeper. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Shelley. It is a wonderful book, isn't it? I refer to it often for gardening info and for her recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are tempting me to get more gardening books! And I am weak when it comes to temptations of gardening books. I will have to check out "From the Orange Mailbox" and some of those other books. I have all of Henry Mitchells' books, plus the Gardener's Bed Book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't Henry Mitchell just wonderful? I love his attitude and his humor. I think you will love the Orange Mailbox, Carol.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.