Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Today's Christmas cd/A Holiday Celebration

I am stunned to realize that it was nineteen years ago when PBS presented A Peter, Paul, and Mary Holiday Concert. It was so wonderful that I bought the cd. It is today's choice because at sunset this evening, Hanukkah begins, and this album includes songs for Hanukkah, and for Christmas.

The adjective for this music is "stirring." It stirs the soul, as well as warming the heart. Those voices are like no others. The harmonies are perfect. The choice of songs are not the typical holiday fare, such as A Soalin', The Friendly Beasts, and The Cherry Tree Carol. And it ends with their signature song, perfect for this season of compassion and peace, Dylan's Blowin' In The Wind. I cry every time I hear it.


How many years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free?
How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn't see?
How many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry?

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love that CD, actually I love just about anything Peter, Paul and Mary.
    We had latkas for lunch today for Chanukah ! Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to see if the library has this CD. I love Peter, Paul and Mary and think I would enjoy it so much. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Patty and Kay. This is such a wonderful album. It may be the most emotional one I listen to in December. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.